The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires that electrical equipment be certified, listed, and labeled by an accredited Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). You will find ARL at the top of the list of current NRTLs directly on OSHA’s website HERE. When an unlisted or unlabeled product is installed, the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) or local electrical inspector may deny approval for the installation, or restrict your facility from operating until a Field Evaluation has been conducted successfully.
In these situations, you are left with two choices. You can replace the entire unlisted product with a listed one, or you can have the unlisted equipment evaluated for electrical safety in the field by an OSHA-approved laboratory.
Field evaluations provided by ARL can provide you with a path to approval which are typically:
- Less expensive
- Less intrusive
- Quicker to completion than complete equipment replacement
Therefore, a Field Evaluation by ARL is often the best option.
Any of the following types of equipment may require a Field Evaluation:
- Custom equipment or installations
- Equipment not manufactured for reproduction
- Equipment installed without product certification
- Relocated equipment
- Equipment that has been modified in the field
- Commercial and Industrial Equipment
In additional to being an NRTL, ARL is also approved by the states of Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon and Washington.
The ARL Difference
The highly qualified ARL staff will visit your facility to conduct a Field Evaluation on your unlisted products. During their visit, they will conduct a thorough evaluation of your equipment to identify and document any non-conformances. ARL provides reliable field evaluation services in as little as 48 hours and our engineering team will work with you to ensure your equipment is safe and compliant with the applicable OSHA standards.
- An expert engineering team on-site to evaluate your unlisted products
- Thorough evaluations of your equipment to identify any non-conformances
- Reliable field evaluation services in a two day frame
- Caution and reliability to ensure equipment is safe and compliant with the applicable standards
- Documentation to ensure compliance with requirements of local inspectors and AHJs
ARL Field Evaluation Label
A field investigated product label is applied to the unit once your product has been tested and determined to be compliant with the applicable standards such as NFPA 70 (NEC – National Electric Code) and/or NFPA 79, UL 508 or UL 508A,. This label is applied by ARL to individual field evaluated equipment and tracked with unique serialized numbers.